Wednesday, June 26, 2013

meals

After the pizza respite for yesterdays lunch, which followed a camp cooked breakfast of fried eggs and just-add-water Hungry Jack pancakes, hot chocolate, and Kuereg donut shop coffedd "perked" in the bathroom,  we returned to our damp, drizzly camp and prepared for dinner...that is what you do when you're on vacation, even if it is a camping vacation:  you EAT!

I took a short hike along the river, ohhing at the trees as wide as MY VAN,  yes, MY van!!

I returned to camp and wrapped chicken and fresh caught salmon foil, different packets, and laid them on the fire John had got smoking while I strolled.  I had soaked some corn in water...only minutes earlier, threw them on the coals, and place sliced yellow squash and asparagus on a foiled grill next to "brats":  Boys and brats go together!!

EVerything took longer than we wanted to cook, probably throwing wet rocks into the fire pit didn't help, but I had heard that rocks help cook food.  Didn't native peoples bake bread on rocks?  Finally, the salmon flaked and the pink turn a mellow, inviting brown within the belly of the brat.  No, food poisoning here!

After yummy-ing ALL that down, we cleansed our pallets with s'mores!

This morning I opted for the quickie breakfast of cocoa krispies (off brand),shredded wheat, a crumpled brown sugar pop tart(Luke wanted s'more variety, what else when camping?).  I drank coffee, kids downed hot chocolate.  My belly growled a few times, and even though I usually don't eat breakfast, I made a peanut butter sandwich using natural peanut butter on whole wheat bread.  (What else, we're in Northern CA...they're crunchy here...do as the natives do....I'll be a 'farmer'--CA style soon...medicinal purposes, if you get what I mean....lots of 'farmers' here!!....use their own medicine it seems...)

The river rushes over a large,yet TINY compared to yesterday at this spot in the Smith river.  

PEACE!!

and LUNCH TIME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment