Thursday, June 27, 2013

Some Notes along the peek-a-boo path to Lassen

Kuereg coffee tastes amazing in paper cups on the trail!

Northern CA has sparkling, clear, green rivers with precariously tall, skinny bridges over them.

12 people in a car can be stinky:  shoes, other odors....

Crumb-free camping is impossible:  feast chipmunks!  feast!

Little Boys potty train easily when they're peeing on a scenic overlook....with their brothers.

Winding roads take twice as long to traverse as a Texas range. (I hope Lassen has sky lights!)

Adults appreciate scenery more than little kids, or big kids....

Roads without guard rails scare the bleep-bleep out of (even) 50 year old men!

50cent, 5 minute showers can be refreshing!  

Where's my deodorant?

We're far from home.

Toddlers can fall asleep in their car seat at 7 pm and sleep through the night, in their daytime diaper, without leaking.

Sam's air mattresses DO.  Leak.

Cops DO lurk around hairpin curves...

15 passenger vans and hairpin curves are oxymorons.

Okay, not to be anti-people, 'cause we're all made in God's image, but people, for the most part, are the worst thing that has EVER happened to nature.  Heard of stewardship,folks?

94% of Redwoods have been logged since European-types arrived here.

Ears pop at only 2500 ft when you go straight up.

3rd gear is slow...glad I'm not in the VW Bus of my youth!

Props to my parents for EVER journeying to Lassen in my childhood!

Question to my parents, "Were you NUTS?...in a VW and its 2 horse power engine?"  

Weaverville, CA is a legit town:  Lawyer, hair salon, museum, The Nugget Restaurant, but no nail salon, or stop light.  Oh!!  it even has a Starbucks and CVS.  But it's still cute!!

There is such a thing as a tree-line.  We're above it.

Shasta College is a one-room school house.

My brother-in-law's uncle lives a few miles from where I am, on a ranch...
...."Wish you knew me, Uncle Al!"

John lets cop cars pass.... and every other type of car too.

------------------------------------------TIME-OUT------------------------------
Truly an abomination:  Gay Unions seem remote in this world of natural order and beauty.  Their agenda is a disgrace and a massive rot on the wilderness.  Wild "bath houses", be damned.  LITERALLY.  I'm shocked and appalled that putrid filth spews from this magnificent state.  (Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said.  Everybody I've met seems decent and normal and hard working.  California has a split personality.  Nancy Pelosi's face shouldn't be seen anywhere, much less as spokesman for the splendor that is God's Country:  California
 I'm truly heartbroken.)
-----------------------------------------THE TRUTH--------------------------------

McDonald's don't exist behind the next hairpin curve in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest...

....good thing I got mY "JOE" at the coast before turning the van eastward.

I can type and enjoy the scenery simultaneously, even though I never took typing in high school.

Always check bathroom floors before you exit...yes, I left my iPad on a floor in our campground

Good Samaritans still exist.

Never leave your car unlocked for a second:  Kirsten's bag/purse were stolen at a Navajo Reservation.

Thieves still exist.

It rains on the good and bad:  Case in point California...see my rant above.

Choose to be good and pay it forward.

Kids don't actually journal, even if you buy them pretty, lined books.

Pay kids by the word to write!!!

Good thing I have spell check---I didn't take typing in high school.

Grace tells very long stories.

So does Michael.

Rebekah writes tight journal entries.

Lydia describes  minutes.

So do I.

Mosquitoes mate in the rain.

Bounces repels mosquitoes, some say.  Rub the sheets on your skin.

Is Bounce a carcinogen? 
(according to CA State Proclamation ten-thousand, four hundred, and twenty-one)

Moms sacrifice the front seat to 6'4" boys, and their legs..

Jumping jacks at pit stops, spring the kinks---and a whole lot more--- out.

My body is almost 50.

John is afraid of heights.

Repeat, the driver hates heights.

Logging trucks drive like "bats-out-of-hell" on roads without guard rails.

Even with guard rails the road is scary as Nancy Pelosi's face.

Panning for gold really still exists...at least in the Trinity River.

Damming rivers is a damned bad idea.  It's a form of theft.

Who speaks for the river?  A river older than the redwoods.  Do humans have an unequivocal right to resources.  This place brings these thoughts to mind.  

Cities act as dams to a soul...

Eureka is cool...

Shasta is hot...

What will I cook for dinner, at the dark campsite...leftover fried nuggets...are there any?

I wish I was a snake...they can eat once a month, I think.

Mountains take you 'round on winding roads.  You curve up, you curl down and around, around...When you get there, wherever, you sigh, exhausted from the adrenaline overdose, and open that bottle of Alexander Valley wine!

John shares a thought:  "GET ME OFF THIS ROLLER COASTER!!!"

...me too....

 



1 comment: