Saturday, June 29, 2013

Shoshone Country!

In Nevada, along I 80:  these aer teh Cortez mountains (elevaton 6100 ft, ave.  One of the taller ones, way back, is 9100 ft high.  Some a tad farther south are over 10,000 ft up! We don't notice the height since we're up at 5000 ft or more ourselves.)
Along the way, a few lone cattle lie, reposing among the scrub, in the blistering sun.  They stand in contrast to Va Tech's bovine who wallowed in muddy creek banks, if my memory serves me.... 
Tuscarora Mountains (below) Farther north, just over the mountains is a place called Owyhee Desert...all Showshone Country.  I bet it looks the same.  I wish the native peoples still lived here with dignity.  I know I'll come upon Wounded Knee in a few days.  I don't know how overcome the blood guilt, or am too afraid of the necessary price that must be paid, to atone for the crimes against these people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment