Monday, July 8, 2013

Approaching the Basilica of St Josaphat

At McDonald's our guardian angels allowed a group of retired folks to cross our path!  They loved little Boo Bear!  Before I spoke to them, they wondered if we were, "All one family!"  "Yep!" and, "Your husband must have a good job."  "Yep  he's an attorney.  This is the first time in 25 years that he's taken 8 work days off!"  
"Oh!  So are you Catholic?"  I pulled out my scapular. "Yep!"  

With excitement at the opportunity to guide us toward Milwaukee's Best, they suggested The Holy Hill Basilica: too far off our path.  The Museum on the Lake:  not open on Mondays, 
and Basilica of Saint Josaphat:  Perfect!!  It was on our way down to Chicago and in Milwaukee.

A smiley, plumpish, talkative woman said it had a copper dome!  "Oh!  I took a picture of it on my way in!", I say, validating her excitement!  Inside, I feel satisfied knowing I'd spotted  a Catholic treasure, and photographed it as a chronicle of our journey!

With intention, through the rain, we approached the Basilica, after a detoured meander through some old, working class neighborhood. I noticed some signs indicating El Salvadorians live here now.

A pile of shattered glass greeted my first step into the Basilica's parking lot...I closed the door, saying, "Let's pick another space."  The lot was empty.

We debarked, no easy feat....and, speaking of feet, "Where are Ben's shoes?!"  and whose Chacos reek!  Okay, everybody's Chacos smell like a cow pasture.  I resolve to purchase vinegar at Walgreens.  I tell the kids, Rebekah in particular, that I'll soak them in the Hilton's bath tub.  I savor the study in contrasts!

The "forward scouts" determined only one door allowed admittance.  They learned this fact from the homeless guy perched on the church steps.  In I went, not even stopping at the restroom first! I quickly surveyed the gift shop, about which my McDonald's friends spoke highly.  I bought a Slovenian made crucifix, a framed picture of Pope Francis, a stuffed teddy with St Josaphat on his rump, a Christmas ornament of the Basilica, and a couple of postcards of the image of Our Lady of Chesthovna (sp).  She offered to throw in the 3 Pope Francis prayer cards I wanted, but I insisted on paying for them.  Instead  she gave me a $2.00 with the Basilica's name and picture....she wanted to give me something.  Oh!  I bought a book about the Basilica as well.  I'll look at it while I ride....better do it soon since John departs soon.

We entered the Basiclica, built circa 1888 by Polish immigrants, and modeled after St Peter's in Rome.

Magnificent!  We all prayed for the Holy Father's intentions, and various other personal prayers.  I read today's readings.  The readings spoke to me, because we're journeying like Jacob, and we were in Our Father's house at that moment.  Also, Jesus speaks about "faith" in the Gospel.  And we were there, on pilgrimage, during the Year of Faith.  The girls lamented that we had not come here for mass yesterday.  Well, Our Father took care of us!!

The dome says something in Polish
I loved this Agony in the Garden!
There was a whole room of relics.  we left singing the invocation of the Saints!
Saint Josaphat greets us!!!
This reading really spoke to me!  We were at the house of God!  It is  heaven on earth and turns one's heart to God.  I love his vow too!  WE ARE YOURS, FATHER.
Brian and Lydia shag as we reload the car!  It's their thing!

How blessed we were to be able to pilgrimage to this Basilica!  I always approach these trips of mine as  opportunities to receive what God wants to give!  

I don't regret giving each of my 6 "McDonald's Angels" hugs at all!!!

Now at 12:30 we're on the road, again, heading toward Evanston, IL. Apparently they have THE BEST Chicago style pizza at this place, Lou Malnati's in Lincolnton, IL....I'll report later!


No comments:

Post a Comment