Saturday, July 6, 2013

Minnesota Memorial Hardwood Forest, SP

We're about to leave Minnesota....."Until the next time!"  

The flatlands have become somewhat rolling.  Clumps of trees, like islands on across the prairie, pass for a "forest" here!  It actually is pretty and more interesting visually.  The animal manure stench continues intermittently.  Farms proliferate here! 

 At the McDs,  people epitomizing the "flyover" states, Americans of European descent, their hair a soft white, skin wrinkled and spotted,  sit around tables as counterparts to hourly workers at a Brooklyn bagel shop.  At ease with their surroundings and each other, they cut Birthday Cake for "Ellie or Edith, or Martha, the name escapes me.  Yet the 87 year old Birthday Girl's smile still warms me.  "MY 80s have been good to me", she proudly states, blushing under her blush!  Fondly, the group surrounding her sit peacefully, quietly.  Four adults, rubbing shirtsleeves in the cool dining area. 

 I return from my bathroom break and say that today is George H Bush's birthday too! "Really!"  She seems a tad disbelieving in the honor.  The youngish woman, perhaps 60, concurs, "Yes it is!"

  "He is an honorable man, who served his country well," I say.  They all nod in agreement!

  I walk away, but return with an additional thought--I always have one more thing to say!!---As I approach the table, my about-face un-noticed, I hear one lady say to the birthday girl, "Well, that was nice..."  

I direct myself to Birthday Girl.  I recount what I wrote on FB as a birthday wish for George H.  And then I solemnly direct my words to her, "May you continue to grow in wisdom and in grace."  She seemed pleased with this scripture,  given to her as a birthday blessing.  I recount her beauty again, turn and walk out to the van,  and my salad, coffee and FAMILY.  

I recall her declaration, "I've got good family".
 Yes, and...
.
"So do I!"  

Here's a shout-out to my kids!  You have traveled 6942 miles, and counting...... Well done !!!....

(They'll get ice-cream soon at--where else--- McDonald's ...if we can find one!)



Note!  As we approach the Minn-WI border,we travel through another state forest which is well-treed and hilly.  My ears pop! I think, "We have finally descended to about sea level for the first time in over a week!"  The plateau behind us, I'm sure Mother Nature has a new set of sights in store!
The Mighty Mississippi:  it spreads as wide as lake here!  A gorgeous border between the states!

Minnesota Hardwoods Forest SP

  In Minnesota before the state park.

No comments:

Post a Comment