Monday, July 1, 2013

Firehole River!

the river literally boils, as water from the pits pours through hollowed out limestone tunnels...Very cool!  I've heard that you can swim in this river downstream in Montana at the 45 parallel!  

Even in the car, I can smell the hot pots!!!

I remember walking around these boardwalks, crazy with the stink, and not a happy camper!!  My mom was vigilant about us staying on the walk.  I distinctly remember being intrigued by the fact that you could die if you fell in.  I wondered what would happen to the flesh, how fast, who would fish out the skeleton?  Childhood memories....

We just saw a lone buffalo in the marsh beside us.  People swim in the waters of Firehole river....must not be too hot at this point, like the run-off from a stream at Lassen in which I soaked my Chaco shod feet.

All of us continue to be amazed by all the WATER here!

Rebekah sits beside me, reading The Book Thief.  It's a wonderful novel, but dark for this beautiful Eden!  Kirsten reads And the Mountains Echoed, to her self, not to me!  Boo Hoo!  I guess I'll never find out how it ends....when do I ever have time to read/relax?  It'll take me a week to relax, I guess, (I've never had the opportunity to find out!)

The winding Main Loop road seems to go on and on!  Fortunately it is punctuated by spectacular sites, which is why I bought Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks Road Guide through Amazon.com before I left.  It has a detail in about 15 mile increments.  

Honestly, one needs weeks, or a lifetime here, not three days.  Call me crazy, but be may be back next year!!!  Seriously! though!

All these pictures were taken along a 20 mile stretch!  Yellowstone is its own world.  Complete!

The air has cooled, perhaps because it's 7:42 here.  (We left at 9:40 this morning, ridiculously late, but we had endured a clock shift!)

Evergreen fragrance blows over me to the voice of Josh Groban...life is good, even if wafts of sulphur continue to curl their way, unseen, into my nostrils.  THAT is life.  I must accept it.





No comments:

Post a Comment