Saturday, July 6, 2013

New day, New state (s)

Day 24:  Sat, July 6, 2013Through Minnesota, and into Wisconsin!!  fields and farms

We like corn, but not THAT much!

We just passed a Hormel plant in Minnesota.  The car smells great!  Bacon anyone!!???

Just to make you folks in the Charlotte area jealous,  it's SUNNY here!!! very!!
-------------------

A southwestern Minnesota Ancient, a grayed,tooth-worn   man of 36, told me, "It's been blowing since as long as I've been here.  I suppose being so flat, there's nothing to stop it."   

John described the van under the wind's hands as, "Man I'm getting bullied out here." 


Some of the kids started out particularly tired and irritable this morning.  we took a little break alongside a soybean field, allowing time for the relevant parties to compose themselves. (They'd already composed essays on self control and the gifts of the Holy Spirit as they apply to LONG car trips with FAMILY!)  Appropriately, the car turn off I-90 at "Welcome, Minn" (pop 700ish).  

I took advantage of this "tourist stop" to investigate the fields of soy bean planted over last season's corn crop. (I saw dried, crumbling corn cobs, and broken-off corn stalks strewn across the fine, dry, jet-black earth as evidence of this.)  I also jogged up and down between the rows of a planted tree grove, where I discovered a bird's nest, pictured above.  I brought the well-preserved fallen nest back to the car as a souvenir, however, the overwhelming consensus:  NO ROOM!  TOO CRUMBLY!   It'll lay where I left it.  Tilled into the receptive, timeless soil. Fertilizer for next season's crop.


Refreshed!  We began anew by reading the daily readings and the story of Maria Goretti.  We've found our rhythm again!

And have enjoyed our SECOND McDs meal of the day (off the value menu, of course...except for me and John.  I got a southwestern  salad, he yummied down a giant McWrap.
---
Below:  Those are the hay and  corn fields flanking our campground at Blue Mounds SP, Minn.   A tallish speck in the distance is a silo.  The wind, non-stop blowing, blows the recognizable odor of "Cow Pasture".  We have smelled it in various locales.  I suppose the locals become desensitized to it, like a mom to her own toddler's diaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment