Saturday, July 6, 2013

Blue Mounds SP: a mosquito breeding facility.

It's 1:17 AM  we've entered a sleeping campground.  We double check our campsite number:  48, however, our space doesn't match up to the map's promise of a bathroom next door.  

John exists for a minute and 10 thousand mosquitoes invade our space.  I hear a concert of whrrr around me.  It's a cacophony!  some kids sleep on, Grace asks, "Why do we have to camp?"  Couldn't have said it better.

John and Brian procede in setting up the tent without awakening the campground.  Somebody drives by.  Who?  Why?  Brian asked earlier, "Have you seen children of the corn?....."  eeeek!!

I remember camping just off the Mackinaw straights as a child.  My dad pulled off the road and set up camp.  My mother and siblings thought they were the smart ones by sleeping in the VW Bus.  Dad and I slept in the tent.  We awakened refreshed.  They had swallowed mosquitoes all night!  The car windows were plastered with them.  I just told the kids this story before we entered this place.  Life foreshadowing itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment