Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Driving the figure 8 around yellowsotne

Day 2 Yellowstone:  after a busy first day, for the girls, of saddle and paddle--to be explained later--we've begun our cursory tour of Yellowstone.  Like 90% of it's visitors I doubt we'll often venture further than 300 yds from the main highway.   However, we've scouted out a few hikes:  to  Lower Falls, apparently treacherous.

We began the day, refreshed, after soaking in in the cross-waters of Boiling and Gardner Rivers. (More on that subject...note to self...)

Currently I see a glacier-formed meadow, completed devastated by fire 25 fires ago, yet thriving now, in a moist environment.  Birds sip upon wildflowers, lupine, thistle, pretty pink tulip-like ones appear too.  Ponds, hint at the lakes which used to fill the area before encroaching grasslands swallowed their waters.  

A train of cars approaches us , at quite a clip it seems, along the winding, narrow, two-lane road. that circles the park

We just turned off onto a bumpy gravel road, a real safari experience!!!!  This is a former Bannock Indian path, over which they traveled on the bison hunt.  Later, the path was improved to allow for stage coaches.   I can hardly imagine!!!  This route reminds me of back country Ghana, traversed in a lorry!  Now, will we cross a crocodile invested river inches from the lapping water line?

We've collected all the DS Games-boys!!  This is better than Animal Kingdom's Safari ride:  Only FOR REAL!!! We just passed two buffalo, minding their business, grazing.  Brian and I photograph them,  Soon I command John, "Hug the high side!!  Many drop-offs flank us.

Yellow, orange ;ink, white flowers, grace the meadows We spot another buffalo.  NO!  it's boulder in the distance!!  White butterflies hover, ground squirrels sprint in and out of their holes.

An eagle dives.  Whoosh!!! He soars straight up....Victory for a ground squirrel!!  Time.  With time, we feed ourselves.  Yes, this trip has nourished me bountifully:  pretzels, s'mores, peanut m and ms.  My courage has strengthened.  We;re now perched above a 30 ft embankment, creeping along, searching for wildlife and safety.  A pine forest springs from nowhere on my right, emplamatice of this journey.  Kirsten spots a sleeping deer. Shucks another false alarm.  She asks for baby carrots to be passed back so she can see better.  Now they're negotiating how many starbursts they must budget per day. 
fro real now!   Kirsten spots a Monarch butterfly!!  

They're aghast that he's eaten a WHOLE pack!  Meanwhile I contemplate the scenery and it's benefits as soul food.  Many birds chirp around me, but I fail to see them.  Wild roses cling to the cliffs, thriving. Will we?  John just threads his way past the lone car that has pulled into a turn out allowing us to pass.  I'm terrified.  The flowers mean nothing to me now.  Does AAA service vans stuck in a ditch in a next to a cliff?  Now I wish we didn't do this.

Breathe.  Breath.  I have no choice but to move forward...more roses, sapling Aspen,discussions about   seeing moose.  "How close were you to it on your horse ride?  Far.  I just remember that Jhn hates heights.  Silence speaks in the car now.   A tiny stream flows through a fire scared meadow. Trees, pick-up sticks, rotting, feeding the next generation..  I think I can smell the fire from long ago.  "This is awful!",  someone exclaims!  Brian chimes in : AWESOME!!  Kirsten suggests that we should walk behind the van.  Some will be spared.

jBrian mocks John  for sliding the car into first gear.  "They aren't his kids", I think.  Red flowers appear.  "Oh!  That's  new color!" proclaims Rebekah.  John stops and notices wild-roses and baby pines trees with authentic pine cones!  Lydia wonders if we can bring one home for Christmas.  JK!

Talk turns to who will be the dentist in our family.  We met one, a rich one, on our horseback ride yesterday.  He was "bullish" on the profession he does orthodontics, perio, ...blah blah, 7 other subspecialties.  

Ben calls out, "Spiderman to the rescue!!!....Shoot the web!!"

John chuckles as I point out the 10inch ditch on my side....He has the view , straight down, 40 ft.

We've survived our trek.  Only two buffalo, false advertising, presented themselves among the meadows and "erratics" (boulders dropped here by glaciers)

I blow out.  John turns right, onto smooth asphalt.

"Was it worth it?" "Yaaa.....", rejoins John, as he shifts into gear.




No comments:

Post a Comment